That impact your home without spending a fortune
Photo: Samantha Gades Unsplash
- Declutter! This is a hard one if you’re strapped for time. My favorite personal organizer is Rose Lounsbury. For a small fee you can take her online organizing course and she will walk you through videos of how to tackle each area of your house. Totally useful and worth the money!!!! I revisit it periodically. Think about grouping things together for an intentional look and hiding useful but visually undesirable items in decorative baskets or boxes (think keys, remotes, electronics…) If storage space is a problem? First determine what needs to be organized. Don’t shop for bins or baskets until you have a plan…. you’ll just have more bins and baskets.
- Repaint. Just think about one room at a time and it won’t be overwhelming. This inexpensive task can be easy and quick. Remember it’s just paint. It’s not a $6000 custom sofa you’ll live with for 30 years. Pick a color and just go for it! If you find it’s not your favorite, repaint it. It’s $30-$75 and +1 day. Here are some of my favorites from Sherwin Williams. If you are not sure, use their visualizing tool. Or hire someone else to do it.
- New accessories, area rugs, pillows, throws. I even like to have several options to switch out seasonally. See my Pinterest collection of my favorite affordable pieces.
- House plants. There is something about plants that give life and freshness to any space not to mention help clean the air. Here’s a link from Good Housekeeping on easy varieties that look great and add texture. Have fun with the containers. Baskets, pottery or even hanging woven macramé create a unique touch.
- Lighting. Don’t just think about changing out fixtures but also very the sources and levels of light. Light can evoke a certain mood and change a depressing dark corner into a cozy nook. Dimmers are easy to add to chandeliers and lightbulbs come in an array of temperature colors. Buy a new table lamp or two. Rooms should have multiple options for light sources. Call your local electrician or Hire a handyman on Taskrabbit.
If you need help picking colors, finding new furniture, or just get overwhelmed with all the options, I can help you create a space you’ll love. Please reach out for a Design Discovery Call! Follow me on Instagram or Pinterest